Thursday, September 21, 2006

A New Adding Machine

Oh! The joy of a new adding machine!! Now this might not seem like a joy to you - but I use mine a lot here at work!! My old one never really quit working, but over the last few months has started to blur all the numbers. Not too bad when it was just for my eyes, because I could still see the totals on the screen even if I couldn't quite read all the numbers on the tape. Things changed last week though, the gal who always did the bank deposits moved on to a new company - and since we don't have an accounting department in our office - and since I am HR (and can do darn near everything!) it naturally (?) fell to me!!

"So what?" you say? Well, since I now have to run tapes of all the bookstore sales and the bookshow sales (we sell building code books) I now have to have tapes someone can actually read! I scrubbed the number barrel on my old machine with a toothbrush and a soft cloth - but that actually made it worse - so I broke the news that it was time to retire and I placed my request for a new machine.

I got it this morning - and, WAHOO!!, I (and anyone else that wants to) can really read the numbers!! Not only that but it has a setting so that I can print the date on the top, and it automatically counts the number of items I have just listed! It also prints negative numbers in red and is a lot faster than my old one! I am in adding machine heaven!

I know - it doesn't take much to please some folks - - and that is me today!! It's nice new, clean cover has promped me to clean that area of my (usually messy) desk so I can actually use it without reaching over a (smallish) pile of paperwork! And since today is the day the Brinks truck comes to pick up my deposit, I will be proud of the results on my new machine!! Oh - happy day!!

3 comments:

someone else said...

Let's hear it for new office equipment! I feel the same chirpy way when I get a new something for my office here.

TJ said...

If you are joyful...you are joyful...no matter what the reason...enjoy your new machine!!
:-D

John Cowart said...

That's right! Celebrate every triumph that comes your way. They're too rare to miss.

I have an adding machine too. Her name is Ginny.

We've been married for 38 years but I'd never trade her in on a new one though!