Friday, December 01, 2006

The Finished Project

Well, I am SO proud of myself! I made a pair of socks!! Thank you to Jenn at knit 'n lit for the inspiration! If you have never visited her site, stop by - her collection of hand knit socks is amazing! She knits a lot of other beautiful things too - but the socks intrigued me! I asked her for a book recommendation and she gave me one, so off I went! I started using 4 needles, then went to 5 and was about to trash the whole project, then as a last ditch effort switched to 2 short round needles and that was the ticket for me! There just wasn't enough room for my fingers and all those little short needles in one place!

This is Regina bamboo yarn knit on #2 needles - I have them on today for the first time and they are really comfy! I have short feet, so finding socks that don't hang off the toes is rare. These fit just perfect! About half way through the first sock with all those needles I was pretty sure I was never going to make another pair - but after I changed to the round needles the 2nd sock went so quickly I may just do it again!! That is a good thing - because by the time I bought the needles (a package of double pointed bamboo ones and 2 round ones the wrong size and 2 the right size) and the book, not to mention the yarn, this 1 pair cost a bundle! Every time I use those needles again to make more socks that takes the price per sock down - if I make a lot it will eventually come down to a more reasonable price per pair!

Hubby just laughed - when we moved to the apartment I was determined not to have too many projects because there is just not a lot of extra space - - but here I go starting new things! At least yarn and needles don't take up toooo much space!!

5 comments:

christina said...

I never did get the hang of knitting but I am able to crochet. Great job on the socks they look quite comfy!

someone else said...

Oh, those look so cozy!! I love them.

Jenn said...

They look great! Congrats!

Susan Tidwell said...

Love the sox! I may have to try this after the holidays. I wear sox around the house and wear holes in them quickly. I do transcription at home and work in my sox (I can't type with shoes on - must be a country thang). Thanks for the inspiration once again!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, those are fun!