Friday, March 10, 2006

Musings on a Grandaughter

I just spent a long weekend in the mountains skiing with friends and family. Our son, his wife and 10-month old daughter shared our cabin, and together with the others in adjoining cabins made a group of 14. (More on the ski trip at a different time!)

As a new mom a lot of years ago I was amazed at the depth of love I could feel for my new baby - - well, then along comes his daughter!! A grandchild is a wonderous gift! I wasn't rabid for my kids to present us with grandchildren - just because I figured that if I was it would make us harder to be around. I certainly didn't want that - so I made sure that my husband and I always projected the opinion that their timing for children was just that - theirs to decide! Well - thankfully it didn't take them too long!! HA!! She was born on their 3rd anniversary! We were blessed to be able to be at the hospital and held her shortly after she was born. What a joy!!

Well, back to now - Spending a few days with her (and her parents!) was so much fun! I would get up early in the morning to turn up the heat and start the coffee and pretty soon I could hear her little voice in her parent's bedroom. They would get her up and bring her out to me in the living room - all smiles and cuddles! Is there anything better? She would cuddle for a little while and then wanted down to play with her toys and walk around and around the coffee table - then back for another cuddle! She is delighted with finding someone's unguarded water bottle, and the world is her chew-toy! She says "da-da", I think I hear "ma-ma", and we are fairly certain we can hear, "Grandi and Poppy" in her verbal stream!!

What fun it is going to be watching her grow up and become an independent person. I can already see the makings of a gregarious sunny personality. She is delighted by everything around her and wrinkles up her nose and grins in the most engaging way when she turns around and catches your eye!! Ahh - I knew grandchildren would be fun - - but until I actually became a grandma I didn't realize how much!

2 comments:

someone else said...

I hear ya'! There's nothing like it. I just came back 20 minutes ago from seeing "Curious George" with the girls and all the grandkids. Too much fun!

Unknown said...

Sooo sweet! I can't believe that she is 10 months old already. It seems like yesterday you sent us pictures of the new baby.