Friday, March 24, 2006

The Ski Trip

I'm almost 58 - good grief!! Did I ever think I would be that old? I don't think so!! I still find myself mildly surprised when I see the signs of aging beginning to appear! I'm really only about 30 on the inside!! Maybe that's why I love to ski! Huh?? - what does that have to do with aging? Probably nothing to most folks, but I have decided that I will ski til they won't let me on the lift any more! I am not an athlete - I do like golf, but that's about it. Maybe they are connected in some way - very individual! Our gang has been skiing together for about 30 years. First just 3 couples, then the kids got old enough and we brought them - now they are bringing their kids! We go the last of February every year and alternate between June Mt. near Mammoth in California and Brian Head in Utah. Both places are a little out of the way and not at all crowded. This is important for me - I hate standing in lines - I just want to ski!! Over the last few years the other 2 original gals have quit skiing, one after Cancer and a broken leg (skiing!) and the other because of her weight. (She announced she may try it again next year - she had gastric bypass and is down to a size 10!!) Anyway, I usually ski sort of by myself, or sometimes with one of the younger moms.

Well, this year I was the only female type that skied every day. The young moms spent time with the babies. I don't have my own skis any more because they are too expensive to maintain for 1 ski trip a year. The rental guy put me on 150cm parabolic skis this time - shorter than last year's 160s and really shorter than my old 172s!! Well!!! - I don't think I have skied as well as I did this year in a long time! I'm not very tall - only 5'4" - and I've recently lost a few sizes, so the shorter skis were the ticket this time! I did a few runs on my own to get my legs going - then I went up to where the "big boys" ski! I found our guys and spent the next 3 days skiing with them! I had no problem keeping up with them on the intermediate or advanced runs they were doing. I HAD A BLAST!!

They go into the lodge for lunch and spend an hour or so eating and relaxing. I discovered I love skiing through lunch - I have the hill to myself - it's wonderful! I usually stop at a little midpoint place and have a drink of water and a protein bar then take off again. In the 3 days I got in about 115 runs - 15 more than the guys!! I was so proud! I think the time spent at the gym is really paying off for this old gal!!

I'm looking forward to moving to Idaho - that's in the works. There is a nice ski area near where we will be living - I plan to get a season pass and ski as often as they will let me on the hill!


1 comment:

someone else said...

Drive an hour and you're at the ski place. Hurry up and move!