Friday, March 31, 2006

Perfume Woes

Perfume - the word sounds smooth and sexy. Why is the reality sometimes so opposite?!! There is a lady who works in my building who must bathe in the stuff! She is easy to track - it's like she has mud on her gold slides - you always know where she has been! I have always steered clear of close contact with her, because I seem to be allergic to her brand.

A while back someone came into my office to complain (I'm HR - I handle everything!) - this person had come into their "cube" to talk about a project and the "complaintant" got an instant migrane, that sent her home and it didn't let up til late the next day!!

I sent an email to everyone in the building (about 100 folks), using a little humor, but at the same time getting my point across, that although most perfume/after shave is lovely, there are some folks who just can't handle it, so please don't wear it to work. I immediately received no less than 15 emails saying, "Thank you!!!" -( I should mention here that more than half of those responses were from folks who work on her floor!!)

I was pleased that almost everyone complied! - But you know where this is going!! She was on my floor a couple of weeks later and as usual was surrounded by her "fog of fragrance". I stopped and asked her, with a smile, if she had gotten the email request about not wearing perfume at work. I made the mistake of breathing in at that point and immediately started coughing! She followed me into my office, and I had to ask her to step back into the hallway so I could get my breath! She very indignantly told me that it was very expensive and no one should have a problem with it! I assured her that it was not the cost - but there was something in it that was very irritating to some folks. I was as nice as I could be.

Well, she is still wearing it, and you still are assulted by the smell if she is in the vicinity!! AAAuuuggghhh!! I wonder if I can/should write her up as creating a nusance? hmmmmm. . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those people who gets bad headaches from perfumes. I can't even wear the stuff myself. I think she's terribly inconsiderate to continue wearing it even though she's been asked nicely not to.

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged on my blog...come and see!

Diane Viere said...

I completely understand! I, too, get a migraine--it's a sure thing--when that happens. I avoid perfumeries.....like the plague!

How rude of her not to compassionatley understand!

Diane

someone else said...

It's hard to believe there is anyone left out there who doesn't know that perfume at work, in choir, in SS class, etc., is a BIG no-no! I hope she gets the picture soon.