Monday, April 17, 2006

One Hundred Boxes

Yup - that is what is sitting in the pile in the empty space between the dining area and the living area - where the 2 gold wing back chairs used to sit. I say "used to", because a week ago a gal here at work bought them from me! As the moving day looms closer that pile gets larger! The last time I moved was 30 years ago today!! So - you're saying - 100 boxes - that's not bad for a 30-year accumulation!! I will have to confess that that pile does not include the 180 boxes that are already in storage for the long term. I know, I know - that is waaay too much stuff!! I'll probably have a wonderful garage sale in my new town in about 3 years!!

On Saturday morning some friends (my pastor and his wife) came to load up a U-Haul truck with the stuff we donated/sold to them for their daughter. She is graduating from seminary in May and will be taking a job as a youth pastor about an hour away. The church is giving her the old parsonage to live in. It is adjacent to the church property, and has 5 bedrooms!! As a student, all she has is her bed, a broken-down couch and a garage sale dinette table!! So she now will have a lot more stuff to make her new place feel like home. It it neat that she will be able to use it, and great that her dad hauled it off!!

Anyway, back to the boxes - I sort of hit a wall last night. We had been in San Diego to spend Easter with our son, his wife and her family and our most adorable 1-yr old granddaughter all day. (W0nderful!!) After the 2-hour drive home, I decided to work on packing more boxes. I wrapped up the last of the dishes and pots and pans, then went to look at the rest of the house. You know that stuff that won't fit in a regular box and you want it but can't figure out how to pack it? Usually it is the stuff that you throw in the back of the van and drive it all over to the new house, and carry it in yourself! Well - we are going to be "homeless" for about 3 weeks until our apartment is ready for us to move in, so everything is going in a storage unit - so I can't just load it in the van!! I just stood there and looked at it. I was just at a loss - I just couldn't face the stuff in that room! I made a couple stabs at it - at least I put a box together - but that is as far as I got!! I just went in and crawled into bed and watched a show on HGTV where someone else was moving!!

I will attack it with renewed vigor tomorrow night (I have a ceramic's class tonight - I'll write about that some other time!). My goal is to have the stack of boxes complete and our "next-3-weeks" clothes all packed and ready to go as of this Thursday. We'll see - I will still have Friday night as a fall-back if it isn't accomplished on my schedule! It will be interesting to see if I have designated too much stuff as "apartment necessities". We already have the other storage almost totally full of stuff we won't see til we retire and move!! This is the next step of a grand adventure - but I AM SO TIRED OF PACKING!!! Oops, sorry - didn't mean to yell!! But I will be so glad when this week is over!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that my Mom is about to pee her pants with excitement over the fact that you two are moving here? She mentions it to me at least once a month and she's giggly! You're good for her!!

"Grandi" said...

Oh you can!! We are excited too!! Did she tell you we will be there next month and fully expect to find a house to buy?!! We hope we can rent it out, but secretly it would be fun to have it be empty sometimes and just have to come visit it more!! See you soon!