Monday, April 24, 2006

We Did It!

Well, we are out of the house; 30 years, 4 days and a "wake-up"!! My brother-in-law showed up with a 27 ft truck at 7 in the morning on Saturday. Three more guys came to help and they loaded up the truck 2 times and took the contents to storage. My girlfriend came over and we loaded our "next 3 weeks" clothes and toiletries into her car and my van and she took off.

I had to wait for the realtor to come by for the keys, so since I had a little pot of inside house paint handy, I checked all the corners for scrapes and touched them up. He didn't come when he said he would so I sat on the front steps and waited for him. He was very surprised when he got there to see that we were all done!

We did the whole thing - from first box in the truck to tossing the paint pot in the trash - in 3.5 hours!! My husband said it took a "shoe-horn" to get everything in those storage units - but they did it!! After everyone was done and took off, we went inside to say a last good-by to the house and not only thank God for it, but ask Him to bless the new family who would be moving in shortly.

We prayed for the right house all those years ago and God, from His abundance, supplied it. We dedicated it to Him then and confirmed that commitment many times over the years. We raised our children there and opened it to friends and family countless times. It was a friendly house that could take all the noise, confusion and fun we could come up with. We had bible studies, birthday parties, big gatherings and small, and wonderful holiday BBQs! We played games, worked puzzles and welcomed everyone. And when we said good by we thanked God for the memories and committed to Him that the next home He supplies us with will be His too! We both had a good cry, and typing this now, brings the tears close again! Not in sadness really - we feel good about going - but it is the "end of an era", and that certainly promotes nostalga!!

We'll move it all into the apartment in about 3 weeks, then see what God has in store for us there!! In the meantime, we are staying with good friends who offered to share their home with us - so being "homeless" is not a painful experience at all!! HA!!

5 comments:

someone else said...

I prayed for you Saturday that the day would go well. It was a wonderful "era" and I'm glad we're to be part of the next "era".

My eyes filled with tears, too, as I read your post. So many good memories! Can't wait to see you in May.

kpjara said...

Thank God for a mind full of memories to remember the friends, places and homes past!

Looking forward to hearing about your new home...not so far away!

Unknown said...

I just caught up on the last three postings. Reading the most current one brought tears to my eyes too. What a wonderful life you've shared in that home. I have several there ma'self.

Unknown said...

Um, meaning I have several fun memories over the decades in that house. I guess I left out a sentence. Sheesh. Time for bed.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the memories....