Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My Garden

A garden - I want one when we move to Small Town and into our new house. I just read a post from "The Secret Cave of the Sugar Mama" and she is excited about the prospect of buying a new house, but was lamenting that she would have to leave her wonderful garden. I want to feel like that about my garden!! I had one years ago when I was a stay-at-home-mom and I loved having those fresh vegetables all summer. But once I went back to work full time there just wasn't enough hours in the day. I tried to keep it up on Saturdays for a while, but that just didn't cut it and we finally let the grass take back over. In fact when we moved out last month there was no hint that there had ever been anything but grass back there!

But the new house - We will have seasons in Small Town in Northern Retirement Destination State, so my growing period will be different than sunny Southern California. I may even be able to grow some of those colder weather fall veges that I never had the right weather for in SoCal! I can hardly wait for home-grown tomatoes - I can't think of too many things that taste better than biting into a vine-ripened tomato still warm from the summer sun. If it drips off my chin - so much the better! And zucchini - not only the little finger-sized ones that are so sweet, but the ones that get a foot long that you can scoop the seeds out of and stuff! Mmm - I can hardly wait!!

Not only will I have vegetables and maybe some berries, but tulips!! I LOVE tulips!! Down here in SoCal you have to store the bulbs in the refrigerator so they will get the cold they need (HA - NOT!!), but it will be cold enough in NRDS that I will be able to plant them and just enjoy the bounty!! This new house is pretty much consuming our waking thoughts lately! My husband wants a weeping willow tree - his favorite in the whole world!! We are planning the tree placement, the gardens, the patio, the placement of furniture, becoming part of a new - much larger church, meeting new friends, spending more time with old friends. There is so much to look forward to, it will make the pain of leaving the area where we have lived our whole lives a bit easier! Two years is a long time - but the last 2 have gone fast, so I can only hope that moving day will be upon us before we know it!! Is it too early to start buying seed packets? HA!!

4 comments:

someone else said...

NRDS - what a crack up! Nerds??

"Grandi" said...

Ooo - didn't think about how that sounded when you actually said it!! HA!! Maybe I should change it to just Northern Retirement State - NRS!!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to learn the art of growing tomatoes...so far I have had no luck. Everyone around me here can do it, butnot me....so maybe you can teach me!!

"Grandi" said...

I would love to!! Sooon!!! R