Monday, July 10, 2006

Friday Babblings 4

Well, here it is Monday - and I totaly blew by Friday! With only a 3-day work week (yea!!) I just ran out of time!

I got a call from my mom's best friend on Thursday night. She wanted me to know that Dad was really miserable in the heat. Their home does not have air conditioning, and it has never been an issue. But with him stuck in the house and tethered to an oxygen machine these days, the extra heat last week was making it even harder for him to breathe. I did some fast research on window air conditioners on Friday morning and called Lowe's to see if they had the one I wanted in stock. They said they had 3 left, and I took right off to go to Lowe's! 30 minutes later, they had 1 left and I quickly bought it! It is a good sized one - but still able to plug into a regular outlet.

We went down Saturday morning to put it in for them. Thank goodness for instruction booklets!! It was pretty involved, but we did it!! We plugged it in and in 3 minutes it started pumping nice cool air. They have a large greatroom, but within about 5 minutes you could tell it was making a difference! It just hummed along, very quietly making that room very comfortable! Within about an hour we had to turn the fan down to low, because it was almost too cool!! YEA!! Hubby and I felt really good that we were able to do something that would make their lives a little better! They have always been such givers - it was fun to be able to give back!

Momma dove is gone! She sat up on that beam almost constantly for at least 2 weeks - and yesterday morning she was gone, and today too. I never could see a nest - so I don't know if she had eggs up there or not. The beam is clean - there is nothing there now.

Our renter moved in this weekend - it is weird to think of someone else living in our house! I hope she will love and take care of it during the time she is there! For now, she has a year lease - after that we will re-evaluate our moving time frame to see if we want her to stay longer or if we will move sooner!

Computer Guy and Darling Wife and Miss C came up to visit mom and dad this weekend. They spent the night with us on Saturday. It was so much fun to have them come up! They live about 100 miles south in San Diego, so the field trips just can't be nearly as frequent as we would wish! Miss C was totally adorable - so much so, that I completely forgot to take pictures!! Ah well - we have the memories and they are movies, not just snapshots!!

We were able to get together with cousins on Saturday night, and the babies were so cute together! Miss C is 14 months, Kenna is 10 months & Kaia is 6 months! Chris had made them little rompers all alike, so they got some pictures of them. It was so fun!!! (Forgot to take my camera there too!)

I made a darling jacket & skirt outfit for Miss C. I got it done in time to give it to her on Saturday. It is a pattern I got at a craft fair - not a published brand. It is totally reverseable with turn back cuffs and a hood. I bought a denim skirt at Target and added ruffles to it to make it match the jacket. I DID remember to take pictures of it, but since I forgot to bring the camera to work today, I'll post the picture of it later. It did turn out sooo cute though!! I think it is a little bit big for her right now - but she should be able to wear it real soon!! It was the first thing I have made on my wonderful new sewing maching - well, except for a couple of fun pillowcases for Morning Glory and the Dr - but the first thing that is "wearable"!!

I do love that sewing machine!! It sews really quiet and will stop with the needle either up or down automatically every time - whichever I choose! It will cut the thread with the push of a little button - I'm not waisting yards of thread any more! It also has a lever that I can push with my knee to lift the foot just a bit to pivot around curves - that is really neat! The nice large raised "table" that fits around it is really handy, and it also has space underneath to store the box with all the extra feet! It is wonderful! I can hardly wait for my next project!! I set up a 4-ft folding table in my guest/sewing room to cut and work at - and I could swing around in my chair around and use the table to spread things out on. It was great! I never had enough room in the sewing room at my house to do that. This apt bedroom is much larger and gives me a lot more usable space!

We saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie last night. There were a few places that I thought, "Ok - this is too long!", but overall I really enjoyed it!! Some of the special makeup effects are amazing! The face of Davey Jones is so real looking!! I definitely recommend it - maybe not for real young children - some of the effects are a little gruesome - and it is almost 3 hours long! Chris' 11-yr old grandson LOVED it!! The credits are long - there were hundreds of folks involved in the making of that movie! But you have to tough it out til the very end! Just like the first movie, there is a very short tag that you have to stay and watch!

Happy Monday friends!

4 comments:

TJ said...

Darn...now I feel like I missed something...I never stay during the credits of a movie...I loved the movie but it was long enough as it was...lol...hiney went a little numb there!!!
:-D

someone else said...

Gotta go see Pirates! Maybe this weekend.

kate said...

You are an angel to run out for an air conditioner...we got one from my in-laws when they moved to a house with central AC last year, and it's been wonderful. So quiet and it really works.

What kind of sewing machine do you have?

"Grandi" said...

Hi Kate - I have a Janome 1600 - it is WONDERFUL!! I got it at the Paducah, KY quilt show last April!