Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"C"

Cancer - boy, does that word turn things upside down! My mom and dad got that word injected into their vocabularly yesterday morning. No one in my family has ever had it, and you sort of feel that is a little extra buffer against it! Obviously, that assumption is not to be trusted!

It's interesting, some folks I have known immediately blame God, as if He is sitting up there looking for someone to zap. My first thought was that I am so glad I have a God who cares enough to hold my hand through whatever comes. That is incredibly comforting.

They don't know much yet - not how bad, if its treatable and if so, how. That is all stuff we will find out in the next few days I imagine.

Several of you put dear messages of hope and encouragement on my page - thank you, thank you! Morning Glory and husband called us last night to make sure it was ok to ask for your prayers. My goodness YES!! Nobody ever had too many prayers said for them!! We will take all we can get!!

Just so you have a picture of him - his name is Don Smith - one of the most loving men I know (and that is not just because he's my dad!). He goes out every week after the trash truck comes and takes all the trash cans in for all the folks on their street - he says they all go to work every day, and that is something he can do for them to lighten their load! He is 82 and was on the first salvage ship to sail into Pearl Harbor. He was raised on his dad's tug boat on the Southern California coast, was a contractor and also worked for several of the big home building outfits in the southland. He and mom have traveled in every state in this beautiful country - mostly by truck and trailer - and usually by the scenic route instead of the highway! He and mom celebrated their 60th aniversary in January. They are still lovebirds! He has had a very interesting life. It was hampered in the last few years by having to go on kidney dialysis, but only hampered - they have been very active and just make arrangements for dialysis out of town when they travel! The last couple of months we knew something was slowing him down - he has been having trouble breathing - hence the tests. I tried to post a picture of him, but the site is not cooperating today - oh well.

Thank you for continuing to remember him in prayer - I don't know if God will heal him or just help us through, but I know He is always right here with peace and wisdom available for the asking.

Blessings, Grandi

6 comments:

Sandra said...

Grandi I found you through Morning Glory's blog. I have said a prayer for your father and will continue to keep him in my prayers.

I know this is going to be an extremely difficult time for the family and I pray that the Lord helps you all and offers you the comfort you need.

God Bless,
Sandra

TJ said...

What an inspirational post...your dad...Wow!
What a blessing you have!
I will continue to pray and I would like to add you to my links if you don't mind.
~~~hugs~~~

"Grandi" said...

I'd be honored! Thanks for your prayers ladies! I'll keep you posted on his progress through this blog.

kpjara said...

As I read this again this evening...it's always very 'raw' for me to read about cancer and how it interrupts a family...anyway this song (and Psalm 121) came to my mind.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come from?
My help comes from God, the Maker of heaven and earth.

Your foot will not slip with your God, for God keeps watch over you.
Our God does not sleep. He's with you by day and by night.

Abba, Father. Abba, Father.
Abba, Father, my God!

"Grandi" said...

Thanks "kp" - isn't it amazing how something in scripture just exactly fits whatever situation you find yourself dealing with? Those folks who say the bible is a 2000 yr old "dead" document just don't get it. I love that psalm, it has always been one of my favorites!

Diane Viere said...

Praying for your Dad and your entire family! Thanking God for your faithful obedience and trust even during this storm.

Diane