Friday, June 16, 2006

Friday Babblings

Its Friday - Wahoo!! This has been quite a week! I found out my dad has cancer, had a birthday, and had escrow close on a house I can't move into for maybe as long as a couple of years! Fun things and not fun things!

I just talked to mom, and they don't see the oncologist til next Tuesday - a whole week after the "news". They have heard very good things about this Dr., he has a great reputation in their area and did tell them on the phone that there are treatments and medicines that are having good results. I pray my dad is one of the folks that they will work well for!

My friend Morning Glory went to my new house in my stead this morning to receive a nice new stainless side-by-sice refrigerator from the Lowe's delivery guys. Our renters will get to use it for the first time! I am vicariously living in our "Northern Retirement State" (NRS) through MG and her husband! The weather there comes up on my yahoo home page every morning, and I read the blogs of the folks who live there and pretend I'm there too! I even find myself standing at my apartment kitchen sink and pretending that the garages I am looking are really my pretty back yard and my view of the mountains!

Speaking of my kitchen sink - living in an apartment is proving interesting! This morning the kitchen sink was full of water that was just standing there! I zapped the disposal switch, everything went down and came right back up again!! Yike! Stopped up sink, and I am having dinner for 13 tomorrow night! I called the manager to report the problem and she assured me that Dave (co-manager) would take care of it today - and by the way, what did I put down the disposal? Well, last night we had about 1/2 cup of pasta noodles left over (not a big glob, just a few curly ones), so hubby washed them down and turned on the disposal (marvelous man does the dishes on the weeknights that I cook!). Everything seemed fine last night - however I now know that the disposal does not accept anything larger than will fit down the little holes in the little plastic thing that was in the drain when we moved in! Those holes, by the way,are smaller than the drain holes on the side of the sink where there is no disposal!!! Ok - now the "mrs fix-it" in me wants to trot right down and buy a new one and install it to replace the nasty smelly ineffective antique that is there now! BUT - it is not my property - I am a renter and at the mercy of Dave, and for now, I will put ALL the food garbage in my trash can!! I know - millions of women (and men) do not have disposals and do this all the time - but there is one in my sink!! Thank goodness the dishwasher appears to work!! Oh - I can hardly wait to move into my pretty NRS house!!!

Momma dove and her 2 babies moved out this week. For several days they hung around hopping on the ground and making frantic flights to the apartment stairs. They were so cute - but we had to make sure where they were when we started up the stairs. We scared one baby practically to death when we started up the stairs and it felt trapped! We could walk within just a few feet of them and they were ok with that when they were down on the ground however, so we did get a good look and felt like we were making friends! I miss seeing them out my kitchen window!

Bye for the weekend! Have a good one!




4 comments:

TJ said...

Prayers that the treatments will help your dad ~~~hugs~~~
As for the disposer...I have a funny story about that...when I moved in to an apt for the first time...I thought you could put anything down it...I put corn cobs...of course it broke...apt manager put it in the news letter not to put them in the disposer
:-p
Oh well, you live and learn!!
:-D

someone else said...

Corn cobs, Tammy??? That makes the noodles sound like liquid!

Have a great weekend!

Diane Viere said...

You KNOW Morning Glory!!!!!! How jealous am I!???!!!!

God bless you! I will be praying for your dad-- (any dad who told his daughter the flags were just for her---is very special!)

diane

"Grandi" said...

Hi Diane - Yes, we have known MG and her husband for 30+ years! He was the youth/music minister at our church in SoCal way back then! We remained friends through all their moves, then about 15 years or so ago we cemented that friendship and found out that we have even more in common than we thought! They are dear friends and the primary reason for making NRS our next move destination!! G