Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Interesting Encounter

I just had something very interesting occur! Our receptionist called me down to say that Marcelle was here to see me. Sounds normal, except I don't know anyone named Marcelle, nor was I expecting any visitors today. I went down to the lobby and met an attractive woman about my age dressed in jeans and a tank top. She introduced herself and said that I didn't know her, then she asked if I had ordered something from a Medi-something diet place recently. I cautiously said yes, fully expecting her to try to sell me something. Well, it turns out that my order from Medifast had been mis-routed to her house and she had it in her car! She brought it to me - what a sweet thing to do!!

Now the story gets more interesting! She said it was delivered to her house on Hadley . . I lived on Hadley from 1970 - 1976! I told her that I used to live across from the High School Baseball field, and it was a little green house now. That's the house she lives in!!! How weird is that??!! The main lable on the box had my office address - where it should have been delivered, but there was a sticker on the side of the box with her(my old) address on it! (I am clueless about that!!)

We stood out by her car and talked about the house - the renovations and changes we had made in it and the changes she had made. When we lived there it had 3 tiny rooms in the kitchen area. The house was built in 1902, and there was no room for a frig in the kitchen - it had to go in a tiny breakfast room. There was also a space for a wringer washer (which I had) and the tub next to it in a small service porch. We gutted those 3 rooms and made a larger kitchen with room for the fridge and a laundry room that was big enough for a modern washer and dryer. They had always wondered why the kitchen was designed the way it was, and when they put a new floor in several years ago, they could see where the old walls had been!

It was a wonderful old house with a built-in buffet in the dining room, an arched doorway between the living and dining room and a beautiful glass paned door with large glass sidelights in the side of the dining room that opened out to a porch and down to the driveway. It didn't have any heat for the first year we lived there. All it had when we bought it were open front ceramic gas heaters in each room, and the gas company would not turn on the gas til they were gone. We used the fireplace and an electric blanket - and bundled up everywhere in between! We put a forced air heater in a closet and we had heat for the first time on Christmas Eve that year! It was heaven not to have to wear long underwear and sweaters in the house!!

It was so fun to talk to her! I drive by that house almost every day on my way home and I have always wondered about it. Its it just a rental? Who lives there? We bought it after we had been married for 2 years, had our first baby (computer guy) there and just loved our first little home! Now I know who lives in it and that it just isn't a rental but a home to 2 ladies who love it like we did!



3 comments:

someone else said...

That's just too strange. How fun to get to talk to her, though. I've had that experience with homes I've lived in in the past and it really is special. Cool story!

On the weather for August? Don't plan on anything cool. That's our hottest month. Sorry.

TJ said...

I believe things happen like that for a reason...ya'll needed to meet each other I'm just sure of it!
:-D

kpjara said...

Total serendipity!