Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Dad's Cancer

Well, I just talked to my mom - it is a carcinoma, she wrote the type down - but it wasn't handy. It is a large mass in his right lung. He is not a candidate for surgery or for chemo because of his dialysis. They are going to try him on a pill that is $120.00 per day - $3600 per month. Their insurance will only cover half of it, so they are going to get 1 month's worth - $1800 - to see if it makes a difference. This pill won't cure him or get rid of the cancer, but there is a chance it would help him be able to breathe better. Basically, it is just a waiting game.

So!! Crappy news!! I know God can work some awesome miracles, but I also know that sometimes he doesn't so I can't hang everything on that. You know, we all "know" that we and our loved ones are going to die - - eventually. It just hits you different when the "know" becomes know, and the eventually becomes soon. I guess that what I would ask of you, my praying friends, that you pray for peace for them (oh yeah - me too!). He doesn't seem to be in pain, so I would pray that God would continue to spare him that if at all possible. I certainly don't want to lose him, but watching my father-in-law waste away over three years was horrible. I think dad is more afraid of that then the dying itself.

Today he actually felt a little ok - so they are going to a picnic at the park tonight with friends. I'm glad, that will lift them and they will need all the lifting that is available in the weeks or months to come.


Oh yea! I finally got a picture to load! This is Mom and dad and me in January down in Mexico - we took them on a 3-day cruise. Hubby was taking the picture. Now you have a face to pray for!

Blessings!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Grandi....my heart is just breaking for you. You are all in my thoughts and my prayers! Praying for a miracle!

TJ said...

Thanks for posting the picture...it is very good...continued prayers are with you!!
~~~hugs~~~

kpjara said...

My prayers over and above total healing are that each painfree day comes with living and gathering treasured memories...making each moment count!

Susan Tidwell said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, my thoughts are with you and your family. I am a medical transcriptionist, typing exclusively cancer reports. It is very discouraging - all the cancer that is diagnosed, but the treatments and prognoses are getting better all the time.