Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I Have A House


I have a house, and I don't have a house! This is the house that closed escrow on June 14th (my birthday!) and became ours. Last Friday night our realtor/property manager (PM) signed a 1-year lease with a lady and her 3 children - so starting July 8, it is not mine for a whole year! Our PM assures me she has a good job, making plenty enough to pay the rent and utilities every month. She understands it will be our retirement home and she has assured him that she will take good care of it for us. But I sure wish I could have stayed in it for just a little while before she does!

See that window above the garage doors? That is the bonus room - it will be my sewing room! It has a little half bath, and will accomodate all the projects I can dream up! See that little porch rail by the front door? It gards a porch just big enough for a couple of rockers - perfect for morning coffee or "happy hour"! See that single garage door? Behind that will be my pottery wheel, and electric klin and a nice workbench! I can hardly wait!!! This is the first house we have owned with an attached garage, so we will park our cars inside - I will be able to get the groceries into the house without getting rained on!! I can hardly wait!!

We just made reservations to fly up again in August to stay with Morning Glory for a long weekend. We have to arrange for fencing for the yard. We have done a little research and it turns out that champagne tastes surface again! The fencing style we like the best is also the most expensive!! We may have to alter that a bit - we are going to try to get the 2 neighbors to share the cost for the part that will benefit them - I hope that is not met with resistance!! Our yard backs up to what will be a park, so as wonderful as all that open area will be - there needs to be some sort of barrier between our yard and a public park! We will enjoy not having houses behind us - and the view of the mountains in the distance was a HUGE selling point for me! Have I mentioned that I can hardly wait?!!

They do something in NRS that is very different for this SoCal kid - they have irrigation districts. You pay a fixed annual fee based on the size of your property, for your yard water! This is non-potable water that you use for watering your yard or washing the car only! It was paid through the end of the year for us through the escrow! It is very inexpensive in comparison to having to pay full price for every drop we use in SoCal!! It is also nice to know that our renter won't have to choose between watering the lawn and buying groceries! The sprinklers will always keep the yard nice and green, and she won't have to worry about that!

For now, we have to stay here and work and continue to add to our retirement account - just a little while longer before we make the big move! We will really miss our friends and family here, but we plan to fly down and visit often! I will also be excited to have them visit us! We will sit on the patio and see the mountains and watch the beautiful sunsets, and they will - hopefully - understand.

5 comments:

TJ said...

Wow...congrats on the house!!
And thanks so much for your sweet words that you left on my Religion and Spirituality post...I really understand where you are coming from...I too feel it is important and raised my kids by taking them to Church every time the doors were open...I had a good Church to attend then...not perfect but good.
I hope people do not get the impression that I am encouraging them not to attend that was not my intention.
I read over it once more and I don't think I am, I think it is just a majority of feelings about it.
Just for example...I just now recieved a call from the mega Baptist church I "attended" last fall...it was a recording saying they were going to have a float in the Fourth of July parade and would I like to donate a back of tootsie pop suckers to attach to some flyers advertizing the Church...duhhhhhh!!!
I mean come on, some Church's need to get a clue...I have to be long distance for them...I have not attended since last fall and I am not a member...and this is the very first contact they've made since my last visit...oh my goodness...lol!!!

"Grandi" said...

Yeah - I hate that part too!!If you are a "dues paying member" that's fine - but if you have visited once or twice, they should not include you on the "send money" list! An invitation to the July 4 parade and all church picnic would have been a lot nicer!!

someone else said...

Oh that's not fair! I clicked on your blog and saw The House. You need to be in it, not someone else. How fast can we make this next couple years go by??

"Grandi" said...

I wish I knew!! But time goes so fast lately anyway, I don't want to wish my life away!! I am excited to come up again in Aug though!! Order some cooler weather for us that weekend - ok? HA!!

Unknown said...

What a lovely house! I hope you enjoy it and all its perks! It means so much to have a comfortable house that fits your needs!